Municipal Project Engineer
Apply For This Open Career Position
General Engineering Company is seeking an experienced Municipal Project Engineer.
This is a management level engineering position that requires complete understanding of all project management functions associated with municipal engineering related project development, site design, construction plans, cost estimates, utilities design and contract administration. This individual will perform all project-related tasks: research & development, design and construction management. This position assumes complete and total project responsibility. This position will also assume managerial responsibilities as delegated by Management or the Board of Directors.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Demonstrate creativity, foresight and mature judgment in planning and organizing project developments.
- Direct and monitor other employees in the investigation, development and review of a variety of engineering projects.
- Provide technical expertise to municipalities through communication, studies, reports and attendance at regular municipal meetings.
- Complete regulatory agency permits as needed.
- Confer with Project Manager/Principal as necessary to determine procedures and instructions to be followed and to clarify various project-related details and design objectives.
- Manage project staff as required for the completion of projects.
- Provide mentoring to staff members as directed.
- Review engineering specifications for compliance with ordinances and engineering requirements.
- Develop specifications, estimates and standards for engineering projects.
- Consult with clients, developers, contractors and other engineers as a department representative regarding major problems or development.
- Answer questions and advise in technical matters.
- Review completed project documents by other staff as necessary, for conformity and quality assurance.
- Approve and/or prepare subcontractor agreements, change orders, pay requests, billing, submittals and permits.
- Prepare review and/or approve scopes, budgets, proposals, cost estimates, bidding documents, project schedules and other contracts.
- Represent the organization in communications and conferences pertaining to broad-aspects of engineering assignments.
- Keep informed of new developments and requirements affecting the organization for the purpose of recommending changes in programs or applications.
- Plan and coordinate survey work with other staff activities.
- Coordinate the issuance of permits for private or commercial construction.
- Utilize knowledge of regulations and city ordinances in design related activities.
- Maintains contact with field inspector(s) on the job for quality control purposes.
- Create proposals to obtain funding for engineering projects or programs.
- Oversee the calculations of final material quantities and cost estimates.
- Attend pre-construction meetings, client /engineer meetings, public meetings and weekly site meetings.
- Maintain project files (create, save, store) to ensure the accuracy and quality of and project related documents.
- Education and/or experience: BS in civil engineering, engineering technology or equivalent with 8+ years experience as a Staff Engineer with demonstrated proficiency in all Project Engineer responsibilities.
- Must be a licensed Professional Engineer.
- Must have experience working with municipalities on a variety of projects.
- Engineering: Advanced knowledge and experience of the practical application of civil engineering principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to design and produce civil engineering related plans and documents. Complete understanding and application of the knowledge of methods, materials and equipment used in public works construction.
- Technology: Proficient use of AutoCAD, Civil 3D (or similar), WinSLAMM, WaterCAD, HydroCAD, and Microsoft Office software for all engineering related methods and practices.
- Comprehension: Skills associated with active listening, reading, critical thinking and disciplined application of the in-house design standards. Ability to interpret electronic information, contour drawings, and aerial mapping.
- Time Management: Ability to manage one’s own time, multi-task, and prioritize while working under pressure. Ability to coordinate and instruct a team to accomplish tasks for deadlines.