General Engineering Company is looking for a Municipal Project Engineer to join our staff. This is a management level, engineering position that requires complete understanding of all project management functions associated with municipal engineering-related project development, including: site design, construction plans, cost estimates, utilities design, and contract administration. This individual will perform all project-related tasks: research, development, design, and construction management. This position assumes complete and total project responsibility. This position will also assume managerial responsibilities as delegated by Management or the Board of Directors.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Perform managerial responsibilities as directed by Management or the Board of Directors.
- Demonstrate creativity, foresight, and mature judgment in planning and organizing project developments.
- Direct and monitor other employees in the investigation, development, and review of a variety of engineering projects.
- Provide technical expertise to municipalities through communication, studies, reports, and attendance at regular municipal meetings.
- Complete regulatory agency permits, as needed.
- Confer with Project Manager/Principal as necessary to determine procedures and instructions to be followed and to clarify various project-related details and design objectives.
- Manage project staff as required for the completion of projects.
- Provide mentoring to staff members, as directed.
- Review engineering specifications for compliance with ordinances and engineering requirements.
- Consult with clients, developers, contractors, and other engineers as a department representative regarding major problems or development.
- Review completed project documents by other staff as necessary, for conformity and quality assurance.
- Approve and/or prepare subcontractor agreements, change orders, pay requests, billing, submittals, and permits.
- Prepare, review, and/or approve scopes, budgets, proposals, cost estimates, bidding documents, project schedules, and other contracts.
- Represent the organization in communications and conferences pertaining to broad aspects of engineering assignments.
- Keep informed of new developments and requirements affecting the organization for the purpose of recommending changes in programs or applications.
- Plan and coordinate survey work with other staff.
- Coordinate the issuance of permits for private or commercial construction.
- Utilize knowledge of regulations and city ordinances in design-related activities.
- Maintains contact with field inspector(s) on the job for quality control purposes.
- Create proposals to obtain funding for engineering projects or programs.
- Oversee the calculations of final material quantities and cost estimates.
- Attend pre-construction meetings, client/engineer meetings, public meetings, and weekly site meetings.
- Maintain project files (create, save, store) to ensure the accuracy and quality of project-related documents
Works independently, while overseeing staff, as necessary, to complete project tasks. Full responsibility/accountability is taken by the senior project engineer for their project.
- Education and/or experience: BS in civil engineering, engineering technology, or equivalent with 8+ years experience as a Staff Engineer with demonstrated proficiency in all Municipal Project Engineer responsibilities.
- Must be a licensed Professional Engineer
- Must have experience working with municipalities on a variety of projects.
- Engineering: Advanced knowledge and experience of the practical application of civil engineering principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to design and produce civil engineering related plans and documents. Complete understanding and application of the knowledge of methods, materials, and equipment used in public works construction.
- Technology: Proficient use of AutoCAD, Civil 3D (or similar), WinSLAMM, WaterCAD, HydroCAD, and Microsoft Office software for all engineering related methods and practices.
- Comprehension: Skills associated with active listening, reading, critical thinking, and disciplined application of the in-house design standards. Ability to interpret electronic information, contour drawings, and aerial mapping.
- Time Management: Ability to manage one’s own time, multi-task, and prioritize while working under pressure. Ability to coordinate and instruct a team to accomplish tasks for deadlines.
- Other Skills & Abilities:
- Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with those contacted in the course of work, including engineers, clients, and contractors.
- Ability to work independently with attention to detail.
- Ability to make complex decisions.
- Ability to communicate effectively with co-workers, managers, contractors, and clients, as necessary.
- Ability to lead project meetings and make presentations.
- Ability to understand, carry out, and delegate oral and written instructions.
- Advanced presentation skills required for attending project meetings and presenting specific aspects of engineering assignments.
Interested parties should send a resume and a cover letter to:
General Engineering Company
Attn: Human Resources
P.O. Box 340
Portage, WI 53901
or e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
General Engineering Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer.