General Engineering Company is looking for a PT/FT Commercial Electrical Building Inspector. This position is responsible for inspecting electrical improvements in commercial building for compliance with various codes and regulations. A Commercial Electrical Building Inspector is also required to maintain accurate records and perform other duties as assigned. An excellent benefits package is available, if the position becomes full time.
Responsibilities & Duties
- Perform inspections including, but not limited to: Electrical systems, wiring, services and other inspections to ensure compliance with local and state building codes, and municipal ordinances.
- Inspect all permitted commercial and residential buildings by reading and interpreting codes, ordinances, and regulations.
- Inspect commercial electrical components for code compliance during various phases of construction by driving to the site, instructing contractors and the public regarding codes and regulations.
- Instruction contractors to make project corrections/modifications and re-inspect sites, as necessary.
- Conduct plan reviews of new projects by comparing plans to various codes and regulations, researching codes to resolve discrepancies, and informing permit applicants of corrections required before permits can be issued.
- Create and maintain electronic and hard copies of records per GEC standards, as necessary.
- Issue permits upon plan approval and maintain files for permits and plans.
- Routinely direct owners, contractors, and developers toward compliance.
- Occasionally perform inspections of hazardous conditions.
- Receive phone calls and handle questions of a general or technical nature.
- Provide direct input on ordinance/resolution adoption and provide direct input for ordinance updates.
- Follow up on permits over 24 months old.
- Attend municipal meetings, as necessary.
- Maintain certifications as required by the State and local governments to carry out inspection duties.
Additional Work Activities
- Submit weekly time sheets and expenses.
- Attend monthly staff meetings, as required.
- Attend meetings and various seminars to stay up to date and aware of all changes and new code requirements as required by your certifications.
- Assist in training other building inspectors and related staff as appropriate.
- Coordinate with administrative staff and other inspectors to complete required inspection activities.
- Complete other related tasks, as required.
Successful performance of this job requires satisfactory performance of all essential duties and responsibilities. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required.
- Education, Certification and/or Experience: High school diploma or equivalent. Previous inspection experience or experience in commercial electrical construction preferred. Commercial Building, Commercial Electrical, and/or Master Electrician licensing preferred (must be able to acquire), but not required. Valid Wisconsin Driver’s License required.
- Inspection/Construction: Expert knowledge of building electrical systems, construction, construction materials, and trade techniques. Thorough knowledge of minimum electrical standards and federal, state, and local codes and regulations.
- Technology: General knowledge of Microsoft Office, other related computer software, and inspection testing equipment.
- Comprehension: Ability to recognize faulty construction, substandard materials, and conditions of hazard. Sound technical judgement required in applying standard trade practices. Ability to read and interpret various plans, specifications, and codes in order to determine compliance.
- Time Management: Ability to manage one’s own time, multi-task, and prioritize while working under pressure. Must be able to organize daily inspections, inspection files, and test reports.
- Other Skills & Abilities:
- Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Ability to work independently with attention to detail.
- Ability to communicate effectively.
- Ability to understand and carry out oral and written instructions.
Interested parties should send a resume and a cover letter to:
General Engineering Company
Attn: Human Resources
P.O. Box 340
Portage, WI 53901
or e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
General Engineering Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer.