General Engineering Company is seeking a Field Technician I, an entry-level technician position that is responsible for all routine functions associated with surveying, fieldwork, CAD drafting, and office technician work. All technical work is performed under extensive supervision and is reviewed upon completion.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Assist with the gathering and compilation of field data for layout of roads, sidewalks, curb & gutter, paving, utilities and buildings.
- Establish lines and grades; Place grade stakes.
- Operate Total Station, GPS, theodolite and levels for various land surveying, data collection and construction surveying projects.
- Utilize Civil 3D software for uploading field data into various electronic base sites for project development; create surfaces and CAD line work as necessary.
- Perform various calculations and field activities under the direct supervision as necessary.
- Keep field notes of readings and observations.
- Employ your knowledge of the latest AutoCAD software systems while using existing drawings, field notes, field surveys, property descriptions, construction notes, aerial images and electronic file data to develop preliminary and final plans, topographic and base maps, contour maps, site layouts and other documents when performing office technician work.
- Occasionally revise project plan sets as instructed by staff engineer/project engineer when performing office technician work.
- Occasionally estimate quantities.
- Occasionally assist with miscellaneous building/grounds responsibilities such as garbage, recycling, maintenance, etc.
Supervisory Responsibilities: None
- Education and/or experience: Entry-level position; Two-year degree in Civil Engineering, Engineering Technology or related field preferred but not required. Valid Wisconsin Driver’s License required for driving company vehicles.
- Engineering/Construction: Basic knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in construction. Basic knowledge of the practical application of civil engineering principles, calculations, techniques, procedures, and equipment. Basic understanding of field work and surveying procedures.
- Technology: General knowledge of working with a robotic Total Station and GPS. Basic working knowledge of AutoCAD, Civil 3D, and Microsoft Office software.
- Comprehension: Skills associated with active listening, reading, and critical thinking. Ability to interpret electronic information, project mark-ups, contour drawings, aerial mapping, and construction plans.
- Quality Control: Ability to complete tasks on a deadline while maintaining accurate, professional, and standardized results.
- Time Management: Ability to manage one’s own time, multi-task, and prioritize while working under pressure. Ability to coordinate with a team to accomplish tasks for deadlines.
- Other Skills & Abilities:
- Ability to adhere to the safety guidelines set forth by General Engineering Company when working in the field.
- Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Ability to examine engineering plans for accuracy or completeness.
- Ability to work independently with attention to detail.
- Ability to communicate effectively with coworkers, managers, contractors, and clients as necessary.
- Ability to understand and carry out oral and written instructions as necessary.
- The employee will work primarily outdoors. This employee may occasionally be asked to assist the engineering staff with AutoCAD drafting.
- The employee is required to sit at a desk and operate a computer or work outdoors for prolonged periods of time.
- This position requires frequent communication and interaction with co-workers and project managers at various locations within in the office.
- The employee may be required to work past normal business hours with short notice.
Interested parties should send a resume and a cover letter to:
General Engineering Company
Attn: Human Resources
P.O. Box 340
Portage, WI 53901
or e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
General Engineering Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer.