General Engineering Company is seeking a skilled, qualified individual, responsible for inspecting buildings, construction sites and building components for compliance with various codes and regulations.
Potential candidates must possess a High School Diploma or equivalent. Candidates with previous inspection experience or experience in commercial or residential construction are preferred. Salary is industry competitive, but will be based on qualifications. An outstanding benefits package is available. Coverage areas for this position would include municipalities in South-Central Wisconsin.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform inspections including, but not limited to: zoning, location of property, footing and foundation, framing, electrical, plumbing, mechanical and other inspections to ensure compliance with local and state building codes and municipal ordinances.
- Inspect all permitted commercial and residential structures by reading and interpreting codes, ordinances and regulations.
- Inspect new commercial and residential structures for code compliance during various phases of construction by driving to the site, instructing contractors and the public regarding codes and regulations, and inspection structures and site for compliance.
- Instruct contractors to make project corrections/modifications and re-inspect sites as necessary.
- Conduct plan reviews of new projects by comparing plans to various codes and regulations, researching codes to resolve discrepancies and informing permit applicants of corrections required before permits can be issued.
- Created and maintain electronic and hard copies of records per GEC standards as necessary.
- Issue permits upon plan approval and maintain files for permits and plans.
- Routinely direct owners, contractors and developers toward compliance.
- Perform occupancy inspections in conjunction with the fire inspectors.
- Occasionally perform inspections of hazardous conditions.
- Receive phone calls and handle questions of a general or technical nature.
- Provide direct input on ordinance/resolution adoption and provide direct input for ordinance updates.
- Follow up on permits over 24 months old.
- Attend municipal meetings as necessary.
- Maintain certifications as required by the State and local governments to carry out inspection duties.
- Education, Certification and/or Experience: High school diploma or equivalent; Previous inspection experience or experience in commercial or residential construction preferred; Uniform Dwelling Code, Commercial Building, Commercial Plumbing, and/or Home Inspection (Real Estate) Licensing preferred, but not required. Valid Wisconsin Driver’s License required.
- Inspection/Construction: Moderate knowledge of building maintenance, construction, construction materials, and trade techniques. Thorough knowledge of minimum housing standards and federal, state and local codes and regulations.
- Technology: General knowledge of Microsoft Office, other related computer software, and inspection testing equipment.
- Comprehension: Ability to recognize faulty construction, substandard materials and conditions of hazard. Sound technical judgment in multiple disciplines required in applying standard trade practices. Ability to read and interpret various plans, specifications, and codes in order to determine compliance.
- Time Management: Ability to manage one’s own time, multi-task and prioritize while working under pressure. Must be able to organize daily inspections, inspection files, and test reports.
Interested parties should send a resume and a cover letter to:
General Engineering Company
Attn: Human Resources
P.O. Box 340
Portage, WI 53901
or e-mail to email@example.com
General Engineering Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer.