General Engineering Company is seeking an experienced field technician that is responsible for all intermediate functions associated with surveying, fieldwork, CAD drafting, and office technician work. All technical work is performed under extensive supervision and is reviewed upon completion.
Potential candidates should have obtained a two-year degree in Civil Engineering, Engineering Technology or related field preferred; Minimum 1-2 years of field technician experience and/or demonstrated proficiency of the Field Technician I responsibilities. Valid Wisconsin Driver’s License required for driving company vehicles. Additional certifications may be required to perform materials testing.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Coordinate and/or assist the gathering and compilation of field data for layout of roads, sidewalks, curb & gutter, paving, utilities and buildings.
- Establish lines and grades; Place grade stakes.
- Establish and maintain horizontal and vertical control upon start-up of new projects and continuing projects.
- Operate Total Station, GPS, theodolite and levels for various land surveying, data collection and construction surveying projects.
- Coordinate with utility technicians for underground utility location.
- Check the documentation of other technicians and train as required.
- Utilize Civil 3D software for uploading field data into various electronic base sites for project development; create surfaces and CAD line work as necessary.
- Perform various calculations and field activities under the direct supervision of a PLS or Field Crew Chief as necessary.
- Keep field notes of readings and observations.
- Perform materials testing as required.
- Employ your knowledge of the latest AutoCAD and Civil 3D software systems while using existing drawings, field notes, field surveys, property descriptions, construction notes, aerial images and electronic file data to develop preliminary and final plans, topographic and base maps, contour maps, site layouts and other documents when performing office technician work.
- Occasionally revise project plan sets as instructed by staff engineer/project engineer when performing office technician work.
- Occasionally estimate quantities.
- Occasionally perform inspection duties.
- Occasionally assist with miscellaneous building/grounds responsibilities such as garbage, recycling, maintenance, etc.
Successful performance of this job requires satisfactory performance of all essential duties and responsibilities. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required.
- Education and/or experience: Two-year degree in Civil Engineering, Engineering Technology or related field preferred; Minimum 1-2 years of field technician experience and/or demonstrated proficiency of the Field Technician I responsibilities. Valid Wisconsin Driver’s License required for driving company vehicles. Additional certifications may be required to perform materials testing.
- Engineering/Construction: Intermediate knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in construction. Intermediate knowledge of the practical application of civil engineering and surveying principles, calculations, techniques, procedures, and equipment. Intermediate understanding of field work and surveying procedures.
- Technology: Intermediate and advanced knowledge of working with a Total Station and GPS. Basic working knowledge of AutoCAD, Civil 3D, and Microsoft Office software.
- Quality Control: Ability to complete tasks on a deadline while maintaining accurate, professional, and standardized results.
- Comprehension: Skills associated with active listening, reading, and critical thinking. Ability to interpret electronic information, project mark-ups, contour drawings, aerial mapping, and construction plans.
- Time Management: Ability to manage one’s own time, multi-task, and prioritize while working under pressure. Ability to coordinate with a team to accomplish tasks for deadlines.
- The employee will work primarily outdoors. This employee may occasionally be asked to assist the engineering staff with AutoCAD drafting.
- The employee is required to sit at a desk and operate a computer or work outdoors for prolonged periods of time.
- This position requires frequent communication and interaction with co-workers and project managers at various locations within the office.
- The employee may be required to work past normal business hours with short notice.
- The employee must occasionally lift up to 50 lbs.
- The employee must be able to stand and walk for prolonged periods of time.
- This position is subject to outside environmental conditions including extreme temperatures, hazards and atmospheric conditions.
Interested parties should send a resume and a cover letter to:
General Engineering Company
Attn: Human Resources
P.O. Box 340
Portage, WI 53901
or e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
General Engineering Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer.